Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom

After watching the video of the benefits of podcasting in the classroom by Doug Saunders, I felt really motivated to utilize podcasting myself. I agree with the persuasive points he made, such as promoting students' creativity and innovation and that podcasting allows more parental involvement. Saunders referred to the current group of students in schools as "Millenials" which means they are born after 1980. He stated that this group has been around and using technology for most of their lives. Technology has changed the way students learn. Podcasting better suits their style of learning for several reasons.
Often times when students need to find answers or need to conduct research, they turn to the internet. Students now have a very visual means of learning. Podcasting/vodcasting provides the perfect tool to aid in student learning. Also, if a student is ill and must miss school, podcasting provides a way for the student to not fall behind in their studies.
I like how podcasting allows for student involvement. The video showed a group of students recording a podcast. I think this is a great way for them to learn the information they're saying and providing their fellow classmates with something different than the teacher giving the lesson.
Mr. Saunders did a great job with his video and I appreciate him providing the links for podcasting video tutorials at the conclusion of his podcast.

3 comments:

  1. Podcasting is a great and innovative way for students to learn. I totally agree with you on the fact that podcasting helps promote students creativity. I also notice that technology has changed and is continuing to change how students learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this post. I personally look forward to creating a podcast and hope to learn how to use them to teach my future students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you! I would also like to add that this helps us keep the parents informed. With this when a parent comes in asking for information we can show them the podcasts online and give them any further information they might ask for.

    ReplyDelete