Sunday, February 21, 2010

Alice Christie, iTunes University, and iPods

Alice Christie

The portion of Alice Christie's website I chose to explore was her Podcasting Resource Page. Not only did I want to read about what she has learned by using podcasting, but we are about to begin a podcasting project in my EDM 310 class. I thought this could help me with our project.
First, Ms. Christie explained what podcasting is. This portion of her site could be very useful to educators because it explains what podcasting is, how it is useful, and she provided several helpful links for creating a podcast. I also really liked how she created a section on her own personal experiences with podcasting. I really appreciate Ms. Alice Christie for creating her website www.alicechristie.org to help future as well as current educators.

iTunes University

Since I was unfamiliar with what exactly iTunes University was, I went directly to the Apple website to try to learn (www.apple.com/education/itunes-u/what-is.html). I discovered that iTunes University is a branch of iTunes specifically designed for students and professors at institutions to record and distribute such things as lectures, courses, and research materials.
I think this is a great idea for students because if a student must miss class, they can still download the lecture from iTunes. Most students own or have used an iPod, so this should be simple to do. I also like how iTunes University can be accessible to everyone, including the hearing or vision-impaired.
Institutions can choose to have their content accessible to the general public if they wish. This could be good for smaller institutions to get their name out there and possibly attract more students.

iPods in the Classroom

The site I first visited was www.educationworld.com. According to this site, iPods are great to use in the classroom because of the portability of the iPod and the amount of information one can store. There is an official iPod in education site on Apple's website that contains such things as "The Lesson Plan" page which provides activities and downloads for the classroom. There is also an iPod in Education resource which explains to educators how to use and incorporate the iPod into the classroom.
Duke University had an interesting idea by giving all entering students in 2004 an iPod. The students were encouraged to explore how it could enhance not only the academic side of school, but the social as well. Students thought the iPods were very helpful because they could access information from their classes, and download lectures and videos to better their understanding. More information can be found here www.wired.com/entertainment/music/news/2004/07/64282

2 comments:

  1. Hi Angela! My name is Marianne and I'm in class E. I wanted to thank you for the website on ipods. I did not see that one when looking for websites. Very detailed information on all of the topics for this blog post. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you talked about how Ms. Christie explained podcasting and how it was helpful I felt the same way.

    ReplyDelete