Saturday, February 20, 2010

On Wikipedia and "What I've Learned This Year"

Wikipedia

I was made aware of the validity - or possibly lack thereof - of Wikipedia a year ago when the school librarian educated us on the path to finding references for projects or essays. She showed us that Wikipedia has an "Edit" option on most of the searches. She explained to us that anyone can revise or delete information on the site. Since then, I have been ceased to use Wikipedia for any research for school, because of the - in my opinion - lack of reliability.
I was very pleased to learn that Virgil Griffith created a means of tracking IP addresses so that users can know who is making edits. I was not surprised to find that businesses and the government were making a majority of the edits. I think that if people - especially students - want to use Wikipedia as a "jumping off" point for research, that is fine, but I advise them to use books in the library or find a more reliable source.

"What I've Learned This Year"

I felt this post by Mr. McClung was filled with sincerity and good advice. As a future educator, I am very interested in learning what first year teachers have learned, so that it can prepare me mentally for my future. One of my favorite points he wrote about was to Listen to Your Students. I think this encompasses a lot of the points he mentioned. Better communication will result in better learning. Students will tell you how they learn best so listening to them is important. I also think this will motivate the students to learn just by knowing you care enough to listen to them. I think in its entirety, his post was a great one.

No comments:

Post a Comment