Sunday, January 24, 2010

A Vision of Students Today, It's Not About the Technology, Technologically Illiterate, Social Media Count

A Vision of Students Today
When I watched this video by Michael Wesch, I was not surprised by a lot of the facts presented within it. The large classroom with many rows of stadium seating was familiar to me. When one student help up a sign that stated her average class size is 115, that made me think to my large classes I attended and made me a little weary of the system. I think that having smaller class sizes is more conducive to learning. When you're in a class with so many people, you truly feel like only a number. This can be supported by the statements of "Only 18% of my teachers know my name" and "My neighbor paid for class but never comes".
It seems that technology and social networking is what a lot of college students put time into. I will have to agree with that. I have a facebook profile and e-mail account and check them almost daily. I think this film accurately portrays the truth. I enjoyed the video, but if I were to make any changes to it, I would slow down how fast the facts on the pieces of paper are shown. It's a lot of information thrust upon you in a short time, and it's difficult to comprehend completely going that fast - but then again, maybe that's an accurate representation of the classroom...

It's Not About the Technology
I agree with the points Ms. Hines made in her post. I've felt for a long time that technology is not the absolute solution to bettering education. I believe it is a useful tool, but not the tool. Teachers need to provide students with a means of understanding their - refering to the student - individual learning style, and how to successfully communicate/teach others. Those generic yet important skills will allow students to learn to use and understand technology and will prepare them for their future.
I think the first two points of Ms. Hines were the most important. The first one of "Teachers must be learners", I couldn't agree with more. I've heard stories from teachers many times about how they honestly learn something new each time they teach. I also think that by a teacher being passionate about learning, it will inspire students to learn also. The second point of "Learning and teaching are not the same thing" I also feel to be completely accurate. The teaching has been done when the student fully understands.
After I read the post and the comments on it, it appears that many other people feel the way I do and the way Ms. Hines does.

Is it Okay to be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?
When I read this post by Karl Fisch, there was no doubt in my mind that he is extremely passionate about this subject of technology and teachers being well-versed in it. I think it is wonderful of him to be an advocate of something he is so passionate about. As I was reading his list of standards, I felt a lot of it reflected back to me. I feel like I am one of those people who will admit that I don't fully understand computers and technology, although I am not proud of it. I feel like I know enough to get by for the time - being, but being a future educator, I do have a passion for learning, and will put in constant effort to make myself more technologically literate.
I have caught myself having thoughts like "I will be a music teacher. How tech-savvy should I be?" But I have discovered and taught myself many programs that will aid in my teaching, from simple recording devices to programs for composing music. I believe technology, no matter what field someone is in, is an essential tool, and I think it's wonderful to have people like Karl Fisch out there who are great advocates of technological literacy.

Social Media Count
I was really surprised that all this information could be shown on one media count. I was especially astounded by the number of Google searches, text messages and e-mails that were sent.
As a teacher, I think this means that most, if not all, of my students will be technologically literate and will use it constantly. I want to be able to understand it as well as they do in order to be an efficient teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Angela,

    First off, very good postings. I think you hit on some good points about the "Vision of Students Today" video. Classroom numbers have gotten to be huge, even at USA in several of the 100 level classes. I agree that the more teachers can get to know their students, they better they can educate them. I don't like feeling like a number, and I wouldn't be surprised if many students have done really bad in large classes.
    That Hines article made some good points as well, I too like the way it challenges teachers to remain life long learners.
    Fisch definitely offers a glimpse into the classrooms of tomorrow. He might be a little extreme in some ways, but I believe he raises quite an argument. The world is evolving and advancing, especially in terms of technology, we as educators really should evolve with it.
    That social media counter is pretty intense to look at. Its astounding that there is so much activity out there on these networks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first game to South I did have some classes in a lecture hall and it never made a differnce if you came or not. The teacher gave her lecture and she didn't lose any sleep if you didn't understand a word coming out of her mouth. But now that I am in the education building, my classes are smaller and all my teachers know my name by the first week. They also really care about their students as well.
    As for the "It's not about Technology", I totally agree! Technology is important and helpful but it isn't the foundation of learning.
    I also felt as if Fisch's blog radiated passion. It was apparant that he really did feel stronly about what he was saying.

    ReplyDelete