Sunday, March 28, 2010

On "An Open Letter to Educators"

After I read Morgan Bayda's post and watched the video by Dan Brown www.morgbayda.wordpress.com/2010/02/24/an-open-letter-to-educators/ I spent some time reflecting on my own college experiences and what I really thought about them. I agree with both Morgan Bayda and Dan Brown that in classes, students are expected to sit and write down facts and later regurgitate them on a test. I also agree that you learn a lot more by developing and expanding PLNs. One thing that remained in my thoughts was that those ways are just how institutions are and I don't see them changing anytime soon.
I face an internal struggle within myself on this issue of education. One one hand, I agree with Morgan Bayda in that I am willing to embrace a new way of learning, but on the other hand, this way of learning has been almost set in stone - so to speak - so can that proverbial stone be crushed by a new way of learning?
Technology has made major advances even from the time I entered college. iPods were just becoming popular, and soon to follow were podcasts. Soon after, cell phones were not only for calling and texting, but also became handheld personal computers. I think it's wonderful that a lot of educators have embraced the new technology but I think it will be many more years before it becomes standard in daily classroom routine.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I agree with you that this stone of schooling can not be crushed. We have made incredible advances in teaching, but it is basically the same concept. It would be nice to embrace a new era of learning, but I do not see it happening either!

    ReplyDelete